Moving a Fridge Freezer
Moving a fridge freezer is a complex and tedious task. Doesn’t matter if you want to install it into a different room or transport it to a new address – in both cases, it’s a risky move that can lead to a lot of hassle.
Those who are particularly clumsy, may even injure themselves or cause damage to the electrical appliance that will lead to high costs on repairs.
We’ve helped hundreds of customers to move hose while transporting their old fridge to the new address. When it comes to moving fridge freezers, Fantastic Removals is able to provide trustworthy information on the topic, based on real-life experience.
General Tips During Fridge/freezer Transportation:
Keep the fridge upright when loading it into a vehicle. This minimizes the chances of compromising the sealed system but also protects from causing disconnection of components inside the fridge.
If transporting the fridge upright is not possible:
- Lay the fridge down opposite to the direction at which its doors open. This will prevent spontaneous door openings.
- If dealing with French door freezers, do not place in total vertical position. Try to move through the doors only by tilting the domestic appliance a little bit.
- Small-sized freezers should also be transported upright whenever this is possible. Compact fridge/freezer appliances have a specific drain design that is often problematic if drain water travels back into the appliance. This happens to used compact freezers and does not affect new and unboxed appliances of this type.
- Monogram refrigerators with a size much larger than the average, are best transported in a van by professionals. Maintaining an upright position during loading and unloading from the vehicle is impossible to complete alone without any specialised tools. Using a dolly during monogram fridge freezers transportation is a common and safe practice. Truck the fridge on the dolly from its left or right side. Never apply pressure on its front or rear sides as there are sensitive electronics. Carefully reading the installation instructions is a must, otherwise, there will be an increased risk of incidents or malfunction of the device.
Moving a Fridge Freezer from One Room to Another
During property renovation, people often make the step to move their fridge from one room to another. Such interior change is necessary and cannot be avoided. It may also impact your budget heavily if you damage the appliance when moving it.
To reduce the risk of incidents we recommend taking as much time as you need to make perfect measures of the whole route. This will guarantee non-problematic transportation to the next spot in your home where you’ll install the fridge freezer.
Moving a Second Hand Fridge Freezer
We often receive questions about moving used (second hand) fridge freezers. Most people think they should do something different when dealing with an appliance that has worked for a lot of time. They are right, here is what you should be careful of during relocation of a second-hand freezer:
- Move a second-hand fridge freezer upright is the correct method of transportation as it protects the compressor from damage.
- Inspect the fridge for loose or missing shelves and drawers. If there are any, insist on a discount.
- Re-adjust temperature settings if necessary. Usually, the optimal settings are marked and are the best option during long-term use of the fridge freezer in terms of productivity and energy consumption.
- Light switches and control buttons should be functioning correctly. Minor scratches or fading images on them are normal and should not affect their operation.
- Search for signs of damage or filth on the condenser coils, located at the rear bottom side of the fridge.
- Consider the energy inefficiency of old fridge freezers that have been used non-stop for more than 10 years. The accumulated amortisation of the appliance causes it to lose most of its energy efficiency over time.
If you have stumbled upon such a fridge, probably the better option is to buy a new a new one. The extra price for it is worth it in the long term. After 5-10 years of operation, the energy bills will compensate for the extra price for a new fridge, you may even save a lot from electricity consumption bills by buying a new fridge freezer.
Moving a Fridge Freezer to Clean Behind
Regularly cleaning your fridge is a must. Some models require total disconnection and unfreezing while more modern fridges have a frost-free technology that doesn’t require unplugging before cleaning.
Cleaning underneath and behind the fridge freezer for optimal results is recommended once a year at least. For greater efficiency, in case you’re living in a very polluted area, you can do it twice or even thrice a year. This will most certainly prolong the life period of the appliance, it will also reduce the time at which dust forms on the coils and the condenser.
General Tips For a Successful Fridge Freezer Cleaning
- Search for the steps of this procedure in the manual of your fridge. If you can’t find it, proceed with these basic steps that would do a good job for the majority of fridge freezer models.
- Prepare a cooler where you will store all frozen food during the cleaning of the fridge. Make sure there’s plenty of ice for at least 24 hours.
- Turn off the fridge.
- Disconnect it from the water pipe that fills the ice maker (if your fridge model has one).
- Lay a thin layer of synthetic or cardboard material on the floor on which you will move the fridge to protect the floor from damage.
- Remove and empty the drip pan from the fridge’s bottom. Leave it in water filled with a cleaning agent to easily remove any dirt afterwards.
- Carefully put the fridge freezer on top of the padding with its legs adjusted to their maximum height. This will help you to vacuum under the fridge with greater ease.
Don’t skip the place where you will later return the freezer, remove all dust and fine particles from its spot to make sure it will be put back in a cleaner and safer for its operating environment.
- Slide the refrigerator back to its place while taking extra care for all cables, hanging parts and loose parts that may damage the appliance.
- Re-install the drip pan and anything else you have removed for a more productive clean-up.
- Re-adjust the legs of the fridge freezer to their optimal settings. Read more on how to level your fridge properly.
- Clean the fridge from the inside before filling it up again. Use safe antibacterial agents and make sure whatever you put back in it is not spoiled. You can double check food in containers that have remained inside the fridge for longer than usual.
How Long to Leave a Fridge Freezer After Moving It
Generally, the required time to leave a fridge unplugged after transportation is not fixed. It’s calculated based on the recommendations from the manufacturer and on other factors such as if the fridge has been used or is a brand new one.
If the fridge freezer has been transported upright it should remain unplugged as long as it’s remained in a moving vehicle.
Fridge freezers that have been placed on their side during long-lasting transportation should be left unplugged for 24 hours in an upright position for proper calibration of the internal components.
When to Turn Fridge Freezer Off Before Moving
Turning a fridge freezer off before moving properly is essential. You need to take good care of its components and prevent the food inside from spoiling.
- If transportation will last long and food will defrost during the time, the best option is to turn the fridge off at least a few hours before the move to unfreeze it.
- While unfreezing, make sure to soak all the water that will drain from the freezer. Move all frozen food into a cooler bag where it will remain well preserved until you re-install your fridge at the new place.
Dealing With The Variety of Fridge/Freezer Brands
Each fridge freezer manufacturer has specific instructions for installation and proper usage of their products. Although most of the instructions are similar, some brands have different recommendations that you should take into consideration.
Some product instructions for proper and safe use are unique for each model and also vary depending on the type of the fridge appliance. We’ve gathered the most essential information with tips on what to do when moving a freezer made by any of the current top manufacturers.
Some of the current mainstream brands at the moment remain Samsung; Zanussi, Bosch, Miele, Whirlpool, Hotpoint (Ariston), Indesit, Daewoo and more.
Moving a Zanussi Fridge Freezer
Image Source: Wikimedia / License: Public Domain
General tips for a Zanussi fridge freezer before the moving process:
- Do not block ventilation openings.
- Do not make any attempts to defrost the freezer faster than usual with the help of additional tools and unusual interventions. Follow the exact defrost instructions, listed in the manual.
- Take great care of the refrigerant circuit. Keep it in close-to-mint condition for as longs as possible.
- Do not place any electrical units inside the fridge’s food storage section aside from the ones recommended from the manufacturer (Zanussi).
- Do not utilise steam or water sprays as cleaning techniques for the fridge freezer.
- Use non-abrasive cleaning agents and avoid metal instruments when cleaning up your Zanussi fridge.
- Inspect the condition of the supply cord. If it’s damaged, call an authorised professional technician who will replace it with a new one. This is important for the smooth transportation of your fridge.
General tips for a moving a Zanussi fridge freezer:
- Take extra safety measures and wear protective clothing such as gloves and proper footwear during the Zanussi fridge transportation.
- Before the first installation of the fridge, wait for 4 hours after the fridge has been unloaded. Keep it in an upright position during these 4 hours.
- Unplug the fridge before working on any of its components.
- Re-install the fridge in a free space that provides decent air flow. Avoid spaces near appliances such as cookers, hobs and ovens. Avoid direct sunlight as well. Too cold or too hot areas are also inappropriate.
- Always lift the front edge of the fridge when moving it. This will prevent scratches in this area.
- Check if the power supply is appropriate for your Zanussi fridge. The information is usually listed on the rating plate.
- Add security measures to the fridge when installing it by using a shockproof socket.
- The mains cable must be position beneath the level of the mains plug.
- Secure easy access to the mains plug so you can unplug it without having to move the fridge if you need quick access to the mains cable.
- Turn off the fridge by pulling the mains plug, not the mains cable.
Defrosting a Zanussi Fridge Freezer
The freezer compartment of Zanussi fridge freezers is frost free, no ice builds inside.
When turning off the appliance make sure to follow these 4 crucial steps:
- Disconnect the fridge freezer entirely from the electricity supply.
- Clear it of all food and beverage.
- Clean the whole fridge, including any removable parts.
- Open the doors to prevent building up of smells inside the fridge.
Download the fridge freezer manual for your Zanussi model on their official website. Enter model or PNC to stumble upon on the instruction for your particular model.
Tips for Moving a Whirlpool Fridge Freezer
- Turn off the water supply to the automatic ice maker (if your fridge freezer has one) on the previous day of your move.
- At the back of the appliance you will see how to disconnect the water line, don’t forget to do it before moving the fridge.
- When the final ice cube forms you will hear it. Proceed with shutting off the arm and then turn off the switch.
- Clean the fridge from drinks and food (as usual).
- Empty the ice container (ice bin)
- Unplug the refrigerator exactly as explained in the instructions for installation
- Disattach the removable parts and weave them in a protective material that will prevent damage during transportation.
- Set the temperature control to “off” position. This will basically shut down the cooling unit of the fridge.
- Properly unplug the fridge by pulling the mains plug of your Whirlpool fridge freezer.
- Wipe the inside of the fridge freezer and dry all parts perfectly to avoid mould generation and to remove possibly harmful bacteria.
- Re-adjust the front legs during transportation so you can roll the fridge easier. The settings for a static position are different from when moving the appliance. Read the section in the manual for door alignment and door closing settings.
- When the transportation of the fridge is over, re-read the installation instructions and follow all steps carefully. Make sure to put back all the components that you have removed before the move.
Moving a Bosch Fridge Freezer
Image Source: Wikimedia / License: Public Domain
The tips below will help you to switch off the appliance properly and prepare it for transportation during the house move.
- Pull out the mains cable. Switching off the fuse is an alternative method.
- Clean the appliance with proper antibacterial agents.
- Leave all doors open to let enough air flow inside and dry the surfaces completely.
- Using abrasive cleaning agents is not forbidden by the manufacturer. Misuse of them might affect the warranty of the Bosch fridge freezer.
- Leave the following areas absolutely moisture-free: controls, lights, ventilation openings, holes in the operating plate.
- Clean the door seal only with water to remove dirt from the rubber sealings and restore proper door closure.
- Re-install your Bosch refrigerator in a dry place free of direct sunlight and moisture. Make sure there’s good airflow that will prevent overheating of the appliance.
- Do not fill the fridge at 100% of its capacity. This will block the proper thermodynamics, necessary for maximum efficiency of the Bosch fridge freezer.
Switching on the appliance after the move:
- Insert the mains cable to the back of the appliance.
- Insert the other end of the same cable (mains plug) into the energy socket of the same type.
- Press the alarm button to turn off the alarm signal.
- Several hours are needed for your Bosch fridge freezer to reach a temperature of about +4°C.
- Do not store any food until the working temperature is achieved.
- Recommended temperature for the freezer is -18°C and for the fridge – +4°C.
Find the instructions for your Bosch fridge freezer on their website. Insert the model number and download the right file where you will find all the information that you need.
Some General Tips for Moving a Hotpoint Fridge Freezer
- Disconnect the fridge from the electricity by pressing the on/off button.
- Pull the power plug off the socket.
- Clean internal, external parts and rubber sealing with a wet sponge. Do not use abrasive materials, ammonia-based products or bleach.
- Soak the removable accessories in water. Soap and dishwashing products may be used but nothing that contains abrasive particles.
- Remove dust from the back of the fridge using a vacuum cleaner at moderate settings.
- Always clean your Hotpoint fridge freezer while it is fully unplugged from the electrical network.
- Always cover food and drinks well enough in order to preserve the odour-free qualities of the appliance components.
- Leave doors wide open when turning off your Hotpoint fridge freezer.
- When some parts are malfunctioning, do not make any attempt to change them on your own. Always contact a licensed technical service that will perform the operation safely.
Here you can find an example list of instructions on how to properly handle your Hotpoint fridge freezer and to avoid errors before and during usage.
Moving a Daewoo Fridge Freezer
The instructions for successfully moving and re-plugging a Daewoo fridge freezer are very similar to those of the other brands.
Some of the general steps to take are:
- Take measures to prevent fire and electrical shocks or major leakages of water by reading the instructions in your manual for the specific model you’ve purchased.
- Never install the appliance on a wet floor. Places with a high risk of water leakage should also be avoided.
- Use a perfectly grounded electrical socket for the power plug (mains plug).
- Do not use a single socket for multiple appliances, including your Daewoo fridge freezer, this may cause electrical overload by exceeding the circuit limit.
- Do not use an extension cord or an adapter plug for the installation of your Daewoo fridge freezer.
- Keep the power cable in good condition and try to avoid deformations caused by heavy items on top of it.
- If you notice any strange behaviour from the appliance during operation such as weird noises, smells or visible fire or electrical sparks, turn it off quickly. Do not turn on again until a certified technician carefully inspects the malfunctioning fridge freezer.
- After installation of the fridge, 2-3 hours is the minimum amount of time you should wait before the fridge reaches the proper temperature for food storage. Factors such as hot weather may increase this time with a few hours.
Moving a Miele Fridge Freezer
Image Source: Wikimedia / License: Public Domain
Some general maintenance and installation tips are valid for the Miele fridge freezers as well. While this brand is not so mainstream, it remains one of the highest quality appliances you can purchase. Their price and warranty prove this, as well as the unproblematic long-term use at the majority of household and commercial properties.
Here’s what you should be most careful when switching off and moving a Miele fridge freezer:
- Switch off and disconnect the fridge from the mains cable not only before a move but anytime when it’s not going to be used for a long period of time.
- Turn off the water supply 2-3 hours before switching off the Miele fridge freezer.
- Remove any water or ice cubes from the ice container.
- Thoroughly wipe the appliance with a clean watered sponge.
- Leave the doors wide open and change the water filter with a new one to prevent the generation of bad odours and mould.
Here you can find an example manual for a Miele fridge freezer. There you’ll find information on proper installation, cleaning and care, food storing, defrosting and more.
Moving a Samsung Fridge Freezer
Image Source: Wikipedia / License: Public Domain
Samsung warns buyers of their products about the most common mistakes and things to look after during transportation, cleaning and usage of their fridge freezers.
Here are some of the basics you certainly have to watch out for:
- Add extra protection to the refrigerating circuit parts during transportation.
- Watch the pipes for leaks. If unseen, this problem may result in a fire or may injure someone during an inspection of the parts.
- Most Samsung fridges contain a natural gas called isobutane refrigerant. It may cause combustion so if you notice any strange smell from your fridge, better call a person to inspect it.
- During transportation when moving your Samsung fridge, take extra care for the water hose at the back side of the appliance. Protect it from contact with anything that may possibly damage it.
Helpful tips when cleaning your Samsung fridge freezer before moving house:
- Unplug the fridge from the mains plug.
- Moisturise a piece of a soft lot and use it to wipe the inside of the fridge as well as the less sensitive the external components that can be touched.
- Go through everything with a dry cloth to completely remove any water traces.
- If your model has a camera, use a microfiber to clean it. It’s usually located on the left side of the fridge.
Read an example manual for a Samsung fridge freezer to understand more about the basics of its usage and maintenance.
If you need the manual for your particular Samsung fridge, type down the model number or a keyword in this search box on their official website.